Monday, March 2, 2015

TUTORIAL FOR A PRESSING BAR

Recently, while attending one of the Bees at the Attic Window Quilt Shop, Judi A. showed us her ironing bar that she made for ironing seams open.  We raved so about it that she had her husband bring in some pieces of molding for us to make our own open seam presser bar.  Above you can see Judi's finished bar. The top is the piece of molding that Ted cut and brought in to us.
Judi said that first she covered the piece of molding in batting. She glued on the batting.  Above is mine all covered with the batting.
Then you take the cloth you have chosen as the covering, and pull it tightly around the covered molding.
Then, using your regular sewing foot on your machine, you sew a zig zag stitch along the length of the project. This is to hold the fabric in place.  Once that is completed, you change to your zipper foot and sew a tight stitch as close to your molding as you can.  Above is my open seam presser bar.
This is a close up.  I think if you click on the picture you can get even a closer view.  I pinked the edges of the fabric.  Thank you so much Judi for telling us how to make this and for giving us the molding pieces!  You are a gem!

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
  • Quilt Inspiration has a lot of free patterns for Easter table toppers. 
  • Or you can go here and get my free Bunny pattern.
Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I've never heard of such a thing. Interesting. I try to avoid pressing my seams open but might do it more if I had a nifty pressing tool.

ferrelli said...

I bought something similar at the last AQS show. I wish I had used my "craftiness" to figure it out and make my own. The price difference is amazing, believe me! Thanks for sharing.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo