Wednesday, May 28, 2014

HAVE YOU TRIED USING STRIPED FABRICS?

The Mod Squad met today at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  Last month we decided we wanted to try something new and started collecting striped fabrics.  Today we used these fabrics to learn how to make quilt as you go blocks. Above, Bev shows us her first block.
This is Adrienne's first block.  Where others are using solid fabrics and stripes, Adrienne is making a stripes and dots quilt.
Peggy's block.
Judi's block.
 
Each participant was asked to make two blocks so she could learn how to attach them.  Above, are Donna's blocks before they are quilted.
And these are Donna's block after they are quilted and connected.

Peggy has her two blocks completed and ready to quilt before she can attach them together.
Diana's has two blocks completed.  One is quilted and the other one is ready to be quilted.
Adrienne has her two blocks quilted and attached.
This quilt looks rather drab after seeing all the beautiful and colorful blocks above.  What we did today was based on a quilt I finished last year. You can read more about it here. When I first saw The Quilting Edge blog I fell in love with all that Marianne does.  I followed her QAYG tutorial and made the quilt above.  Recently, I accidentally left my quilt at the shop and discovered others were interested in making one too.  So today I showed people what I learned at The Quilting Edge.  There are lots of beautiful projects to see on Marianne's blog, as well as many tutorials.  Take a look.  I hope that next month everyone will bring her blocks/quilts so we can see the progress being made.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:  Did you go check out the Row By Row Shop Hop website.  This is a must for anyone traveling this summer.  You won’t want to miss this. 

Cluck Cluck Sew has a tutorial for a Squares and Strips Bed quilt.

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

3 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Caroll, This is a terrific inspiring post for me. I love those scrappy-looking striped blocks! I have so many striped fabrics, first because I love stripes, second I collected so many for my stripy squares quilt. I now want to stitch them all together again for a new striped quilt! (But I'm just so hung up on paper crafting right now!)

Lynn said...

You have inspired me. I am going to try to put together a QAYG class for next quarter at my LQS. I've been thinking about it for a while, but I made up my mind to just do it after seeing all these beautiful blocks.

Mama Pea said...

I love this! I really like the stripes! Mod Squad. Why couldn't I think of that? I love that name!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo