Thursday, September 10, 2009

AUTUMN SAMPLE AND BEE PIX

We’re back in business. Before I tell you about the computer virus and what you can do to keep your computer safe, I want to share some photos with you. I went to Bee last Saturday and took many pictures. Above is a sample that Colleen made for the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Wouldn’t you love to have that table runner in your home? The pattern (it’s in a book) and the lovely woolens may be found at the shop. Stop by and take a look.

Jennifer Lewis (left) and Jeanne Bird (right), mother and daughter, took last year’s sampler BOM classes. Note how different their quilts turned out. I love the creativity involved in making each quilt uniquely her own.
Now for my experience. I want to tell you in detail what happened to me in the hopes that it will not happen to you. I was on Google Search looking for a tree skirt pattern. I want to say up front that in no way do I think Google was responsible for what happened to me. I clicked on a site (wish I could remember what it was) and once in, I got a pop up. A little square box appeared in the middle of the screen. I think it even had “Explorer” at the top, which made me think it was legitimate. A message said that my antivirus program had detected three Trojans that could ruin my computer. It asked did I want to get rid of them. Well, yeah! Therefore, I clicked “yes.” Then it started downloading “My Personal Antivirus.” My brain finally kicked into gear and I thought, I don’t have that, I have McAfee and it just ran a scan on my computer four hours ago. I tried to get out of the program but I could not so I shut the computer off and called my IT guy. He told me that when that pop up first came up I should have just gotten out of the program by hitting control, alt, delete, or just Xed out of the internet browser. So be sure and do that if that ever happens to you. Do not do what I did and say “yes.” After you X out of the internet, you can always rerun your virus scan to see how legitimate the message was. You probably will not find a virus. Eddie, my IT guy, says they are fishing (I think that’s spelled phishing) and trying to get you to buy something or trying to get your personal information. I was fortunate that Eddie was able to remove everything harmful with no problem. I understand Nanette over at Freda’s Hive had a bigger problem and had to reinstall everything. Keep checking her blog (see sidebar) to see what she has to tell us about her problem and how to avoid it.
Primrose Design has a groovy 1960s kitty pattern. Her Stitch School also shows you how to make the various stitches. Check it out.
I hope everyone is having a great week! Until next time, happy quilting,
Caroll

5 comments:

The Rabbit Factory said...

Isn't it just terrible that there are people out there that have to spoil our computer fun! Sorry to hear of your troubles. Love the pumpkin wallhanging and the two sampler quilts by the way!

Anonymous said...

People can be so cruel with their little antics! Glad you back up and running! The pumpkin runner is waaaaaaay adorable...when you tire of it send it my way! LOL

SewCalGal said...

I love the pumpkin wallhanging. Absolutely beautiful. Love, love, love it.

Thanks for sharing.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Betsy said...

Thank you for sharing that computer problem with us. It happened to me and thank God my hubby was around to help me. It is so deceiving and makes me so nervous. I love that pumpkin runner. Is the pattern for sale?

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Oh I just love that table runner, got have it!! Love your blog, Hugs, Mary (thanks for visiting mine too!)

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo